Irene Kuo, PhD, MPH
Assistant Research Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Milken Institute School of Public Health, The George Washington University
Current HIV/AIDS Research Activities:
- CARE Corrections: Technology for Jail HIV/HCV Testing, Linkage, and Care (TLC). Role: Co-Principal Investigator. The goal of this research is to adapt and evaluate information and communication technology-based tools used for HIV testing and for improving adherence to HIV treatment, adding rapid hepatitis C virus testing and prevention to the delivery of HIV services for jailed populations. 1R01DA030747
- Assessing the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment Needs Among HIV-Positive Individuals in Washington, DC. Role: Principal Investigator. This project involves conducting is a qualitative assessment of substance abuse and mental health treatment needs of HIV-positive clinic-attending individuals in Washington, DC. The study \ consists of in-depth interviews among patients, clinicians, and community stakeholders. Project number: TBD.
- HPTN 064: The Women's HIV SeroIncidence Study (ISIS). Role: Principal Investigator Washington, DC site). Longitudinal study to measure seorincidence in high risk minority women. CTU: 5 UO1 AI69503-04
- HPTN 061: The BROTHERS Study. Role: Co-Principal Investigator (Washington, DC site). Longitudinal, randomized controlled trial for peer health navigation among newly identified HIV positive Black MSM and network members. CTU: 5 UO1 AI69503-04
- National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS) Survey. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Role: Co-investigator and Project Director (Washington, DC site). On-going serial cross-section surveys of 3 major high-risk groups for HIV transmission: men having sex with men, injection drug users and high-risk heterosexuals. Study focuses on trends in behavioral risk factors associated with HIV transmission. Contract Number POHC-2006-C-0030, funded in part by PS000966-01.
Current HIV/AIDS Educational Activities:
- Guest lecture "HIV/AIDS and Injection Drug Use" in HIV/AIDS Epidemiology Course (Instructor: Manya Magnus, Ph.D., M.P.H.).
- Guest lecture "National HIV Behavioral Surveillance in Washington, DC" in HIV/AIDS Surveillance Course (Instructor: Amanda Castel, M.D., M.P.H.)
- Guest lecture "Epidemiology of Viral Hepatitis A-E" in Infectious Disease Epidemiology Course (Instructor: Daniel Hoffman, Ph.D.)
- Guest lecture "Epidemiology of Hepatitis B and C Viruses" in Infectious Agents and Cancer Course (Instructor: Paul Levine, M.D.)
Current HIV/AIDS Service Activities:
- Ad-hoc manuscript reviewer:
- American Journal of Epidemiology
- Drug and Alcohol Dependence
- International Journal on Drug Policy
- Journal of Urban Health
- Public Health Reports
- Women's Health Issues