Cynthia L. Gibert, MD, MS
- Professor, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, The George Washington University; Medical Service/Infectious Diseases, Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- [email protected]
Current HIV/AIDS Research Activities:
Site prinicipal investigator for the following NIH/NIAA funded research studies:
U01 AA027090 (Justice) 09/01/16 – 08/31/21
- NIH/NIAAA $4,970,166
- 2/6 COMpAAAS U01: Observation Study: Optimizing Treatment in HIV and HCV: ART, Alcohol and Polypharmacy
- Using rich longitudinal data from the Veterans Aging Cohort Study (VACS) this study will compare the impact of polypharmacy, potentially inappropriate medications, and pharmacologic treatment for alcohol use disorder and hepatitis C among those aging with and without HIV infection.
1U01AA020795 (Fiellin) 09/01/11-08/31/17
- NIH/NIAAA $3,540,791
- Integrated stepped care for unhealthy alcohol use in HIV
- The goals of this five site randomized clinical trial is to determine the effectiveness of integrated stepped for unhealthy alcohol use in HIV.
Site prinicipal investigator:
1 U01 AA26224 (Justice) 06/01/17-05/31/22
- 3/3 COMpAAAS Tripartite: ART-CC, KP, and VA
- This project, along with 2 other linked U01 applications, servers to extend the generalizability of research on health consequences of alcohol in people living with HIV in the Veterans Aging Cohort study to 12 healthcare systems in North America and Europe. The set increases the number of women, younger individuals, men who have sex with men and uninfected comparators. This application addresses interactions between alcohol, tobacco and drug use, antiretrovirals, and co medications that result in mortality, hospitalization, or increased physiologic frailty.
Current HIV/AIDS Educational Activities:
- Teaching attending for GWU/VHA ID fellows VA Infectious Diseases Clinic
- Attending physician on ID Infectious Diseases Consult Service
- Attending physician on Inpatient Medical Service
- Participation in ID case conferences and journal club
- VA Institutional Review Board, Chair
Current HIV/AIDS Clinical Activities:
- Attending physician in the ID clinic at the VAMC for the past 28 years. The clinic provides ongoing primary care to approximately 1,000 HIV infected veterans. Was Director of this clinic from 1992 to 2001.
Current HIV/AIDS Service Activities:
- Member of the VA National HIV Treatment Advisory Group